Pennsylvania Auto Accident Attorneys
Philadelphia – Pennsylvania – New Jersey – New York
Someone hit my car. I can’t work. I’m in pain. I can’t pay my bills.
Are you in this situation? You have a lot of company. Millions of car accidents occur each year. This means, unfortunately, chances are very good, no matter how safe a driver you are, that you will be involved in an auto accident. If you are in a car accident, one of the first things the police and your insurance company will try to determine is – who was responsible? The answer to that question has a huge impact on how and whether you will be compensated for your injuries. Fortunately, the Pennsylvania auto accident attorneys of Lowenthal & Abrams have handled car accident cases since 1975, and if you contact us, we will work to help you.
What Should You Do After an Auto Accident?
Lowenthal & Abrams’ Pennsylvania auto accident lawyers suggest that you take the following steps if you are involved in a car accident.
- Are you ok? The very first step is to make certain that you and any passengers are safe. Check for injuries, and if anyone is hurt, call 911 immediately.
- Move the car. If the accident was minor, meaning no serious injuries and the car is drivable, move the car to the side of the road. Doing this will get you and your passengers out of danger from oncoming traffic and help prevent any additional accidents.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Make certain to get the name, phone number, address, and all insurance company information from the drivers of any involved vehicles. Also get the driver license numbers, license plates and the names of the owners of all cars.
- Do not admit fault. Even if you believe the car accident was your fault, do not admit it. While it is human nature to apologize, at this point, do not offer an apology. It is certainly fine to ask if the other driver and passengers are ok, but otherwise, confine yourself to exchanging information.
- Document everything. If you have a camera or camera phone, take pictures of the scene and the involved automobiles. Make sure you take pictures of all cars, because sometimes one car looks more damaged than another. If your car doesn’t look very damaged but the other car does, that can show that the impact was very strong, which can help the adjuster or the jury understand the extent of the impact. If there are witnesses, get their names and contact information.
- Contact the police. If the accident was minor, the police might not respond. In that case, you will need to file an accident report with the appropriate jurisdiction. If the police do respond to the scene, ask how you can get a copy of the report, and identify the responding officers for your records.
- Contact your attorney. If you have an attorney, you should contact him. Many attorneys can help you with getting your car towed, contacting your insurance company and helping you to make certain everything you need to take care of is handled appropriately. Please consider contacting one of Lowenthal & Abrams’ auto accident attorneys in Pennsylvania.
- Contact your insurance company. If you do not have an attorney, you should contact your insurance company. If you do have an attorney, he will advise you on whether to contact your company or he will offer to do so for you.
- Do not speak with the other driver’s or passenger’s insurance companies. It is very common for the other insurance companies to call and ask for a statement immediately after an accident. You should not talk with the other companies without having first spoken with your attorney or your own insurance company.
Prepare for Auto Accidents Ahead of Time
There are a variety of steps you can take to prepare ahead of time for a car accident. Our auto accident lawyers in Pennsylvania have prepared the following resources to assist you.
- Begin by making certain you have the appropriate auto insurance. View Jeff Lowenthal’s Video on How to Buy Car Insurance in Pennsylvania
- Understand the difference between full and limited tort. Read Full Tort v. Limited Tort Explained.
- Download our app to assist your prior to and after an accident. We have both an iPhone and an Android app.
We are Here to Help
The Pennsylvania auto accident attorneys of Lowenthal & Abrams have served the Philadelphia area in car accident claims for almost 40 years. If you have been injured in a car accident you should feel free to contact us immediately. We are here to help you through the difficult time that follows being hurt by handling the legal issues for you.
Our experienced lawyers work hard for our clients. If you have ever been injured, you know that it can be very hard to get your rights. We are here to help you get results. We have won thousands of jury awards and settlements for our valued clients. Remember, unless your injuries are compensated through settlement or trial, we do not get paid!