Many fatal accidents could have been avoided with foresight and caution. Despite this, these accidents occur with alarming frequency every day. Statistics show that the most common causes of accidental death have remained fairly stable for the last few decades. Although increased safety education has reduced the rates of many of these accidents, they continue to ruin innocent lives.
Top Three Most Common Fatal Accidents
Causes of accidental death can be difficult to gather information on, as studies may categorize deaths differently. However, the following are usually cited as the three most common causes of fatal accidents in the US:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car crashes and other motor vehicle accidents account for about 44% of accidental deaths in the US, far more than any other kind of accident. Pedestrian injuries, drunk driving accidents, and single-vehicle collisions are all included in this category.
- Poisoning: Many people are surprised to learn that accidental poisoning is a common cause of death in the US. Many victims are children exposed to dangerous household cleaners or other toxins. Adult victims have usually accidentally overdosed on prescription or illegal drugs.
- Falls: Fall injuries are a bigger risk than many people realize. Many of these accidents occur in the workplace, particularly on construction sites. Small children, elderly people, and people with underlying health conditions are also vulnerable to these accidents.
Take Steps to Protect You and Your Family
Many of these types of accidental deaths can be prevented by taking appropriate cautions.
- Driving defensively (not aggressively), along with using your seat belt and keeping your car properly maintained, can help protect you, your passengers, and those who share the road with you.
- Keeping poisons out of reach of children, proper labeling of medications, and responding properly if a poisoning occurred can help to save lives.
- Proper training and other prevention at workplaces as well as proper use of protective devices at home can help protect employees safe at work and the vulnerable safe at home.
If a loved one has suffered a fatal accident due to the negligence of a person or company, the Pennsylvania wrongful death attorneys of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C. can help. We handle each case with both compassion and a dedication to justice. Contact our firm today at 888-979-7298.