Carbon Monoxide Poisoning And Landlord Liability
Philadelphia – Harrisburg – Scranton – Pittsburgh – Erie – Pennsylvania
Although many appliances are slowly shifting from gas to electric, there are many household staples that still rely on gas, such as water heaters, furnaces, stoves, and gas heaters, especially in the older homes and apartments of Pennsylvania. If not properly installed, these appliances can leak carbon monoxide (or CO) into your home, poisoning you and your loved ones. Carbon monoxide is called the silent or invisible killer for a reason. It is all but impossible to know whether carbon monoxide is leaking into your home without a carbon monoxide detector.
Landlords are Responsible for Safe Appliances
If you are a renter, it is your landlord’s responsibility to make sure that these appliances are able to function properly. Annual safety checks must be carried out to verify that piping, valves, appliances, and flues are safe and up-to-date. For your own safety, ask your landlord or purchase your own carbon monoxide detector if you have any gas appliances in your home. If you have suffered an injury due to carbon monoxide poisoning, feel free to contact Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys, personal injury lawyers in Pennsylvania, at 888-979-7298 today for an initial consultation
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Once the colorless and odorless gas leaks into your home, it can be difficult to detect. If you or any of your family experiences any of the following symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, seek immediate medical care:
- Shortness of breath
Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide
There are a number of common sources of carbon monoxide that can be the cause of a poisoning in your home.
- Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters
- Leaking chimneys and furnaces
- Back-drafting from furnaces
- Gas water heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces
- Gas stoves
- Generators and other gasoline powered equipment
- Automobile exhaust from attached garages
- Tobacco smoke
Some of these items are the responsibility of the landlord, others such as tenant purchased kerosene and gas heaters, are the responsibility of the tenant.
If you have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of your landlord’s negligence, you may be entitled compensation for your medical bills and other related costs. Contact the Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys at 888-979-7298, to discuss the facts of your case.