Poisonous Berries in North America
With spring weather coming soon (we hope) you will likely soon be spending time outside with your children. Young children, especially under the age of 6, like to put things in their mouths. Poisonous berries can be an especially serious problem, due to their color and the fact that they look like fruit that is safe to eat. This article lists some of the most common poisonous berries found in North America. Click on the link for a picture of a plant.
If your child has eaten a poisonous berry, please call the American Association of Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.
Bittersweet Nightshade is a beautiful flower with very tempting berries. Keep an eye out for it.
Poison ivy can cause rashes in people who are allergic to it. Eating it can be deadly. Many don’t know that poison ivy and oak both have berries during the spring.
Regular ivy grows berries as well. This plant is used for ornamental purposes and can be found everywhere.
In this case, the leaves are deadly. But the berries are a bright, beautiful scarlet so the plant is likely to attract children.
Normally found in Christmas decorations, mistletoe’s berries are extremely dangerous.
Know Your Area
The best thing you can do, when it comes to any plant, is to know what grows in your area and to teach your children to keep outdoor berries away from their mouths without your permission. Young children will not understand why they can eat a wild strawberry off the vine, but not grab a tempting, white berry from poison ivy.
More Poisonous Plants in Pennsylvania
For a list of more poisonous plants in Pennsylvania check out this article from the University of Pennsylvania.