Types of Disability
If you are injured due to your work, the workers’ compensation system is here to protect you. When you suffer an injury that prevents you from working, there are three kinds of disability that your attorney will help you explore.
The three main types of disability are:
- Partial Disability
- Permanent Partial Disability
- Permanent Total Disability
Amount of Compensation
What is the amount of compensation an employee would receive because of their disability?
- Partial disability – 66 2/3% of the difference between the employee’s weekly wages and the wages that the employee can earn after being injured, up to five hundred weeks.
- Permanent partial disability – 66 2/3% of the employee’s weekly wages for a period determined by the type of disability.
- Permanent total disability – the compensation is usually around 66 2/3% of the employee’s weekly wage.
Difficulties with Lump Sum Payments & Disability
Even in the most clear cases of work-related disability, insurance companies are not likely to cooperate or offer you a fair payment. As a result, it is best to have a workers’ compensation lawyer on your side. The lawyer will need to gather expert reports, put together a statement, and seek to negotiate a payment on your behalf. If the insurance company refuses to offer you a fair payment, or refuses to offer you any payment at all, your lawyer will take your case before a workers’ compensation judge in order to seek the payment you deserve.
Get Help Immediately
Insurance companies are not in the business of handing out money. Given this, it is important that you have a lawyer guiding you on how to handle your case properly from day one. You don’t want to say the wrong thing or fail to follow up properly with your treatment. It is crucial that you understand what is necessary to establish a strong case and how you can mistakenly damage your own case if you get tricked by the various games some insurance companies seek to play.
If you don’t need our help, there is no fee. But if you do need our help, we will be ready, willing and able to hit the ground running to help you with your case. Contact our expert* workers’ compensation lawyer, today.