Avoiding Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks and 18-wheelers are responsible for delivering cargo and goods to suppliers all across the nation. They are a vital part of our economy. Unfortunately, when truck drivers act negligently, the size of the vehicle makes it especially dangerous. Further, car drivers sometimes engage in foolish behavior around trucks because they don’t want to drive behind them. This can cause truck accidents as well.
Commercial trucks are involved in roughly 300,000 accidents every year across the country. When a truck hits a car, the car and its passengers often suffer serious harm. Such accidents are more likely to be fatal than regular car accidents.
How to Drive Safely Near 18-Wheelers
When you are driving around 18-wheelers, you can reduce your risk of being involved in an accident by:
- Not lingering in blind spots or truck no-zones
- Giving yourself plenty of room when passing an 18-wheeler
- Having a plan in case a truck drifts into your lane
- Increasing your following distance when driving behind an 18-wheeler
- Never cut off a truck. It’s stopping time is much less than a car’s
By following these tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of an accident occurring.
Potential Truck Driver Problems
Truck drivers have some unique pressures and issues that can make them more likely to cause an accident. You need to be aware of these risks so you understand why it is important to drive carefully near an 18-wheeler
- Poor training is a serious problem with 18-wheelers. Truck drivers must know how to handle their vehicles.
- Truck drivers often drive long hours with very little sleep to deliver goods on time. A tired driver is more likely to make a mistake.
- Drivers are often in a rush. A speeding truck may not be able to stop safely.
- Some companies do not properly maintain trucks. If brakes give out on a truck, the results are often deadly.
Being involved in a car accident can be a very trying time in your life. Let us help you with your case while you focus on your recovery. Contact the Philadelphia car accident lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, today at 888-979-7298.