Personal injury is the physical harm or mental anguish resulting from the actions or negligence of another party, whether it is intentional or not. The Cherry Hill personal injury lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys have the experience and knowledge to help you settle your case. Contact us today to learn how we can help you with obtaining the compensation you deserve and need to keep your finances in order.
Proving a Personal Injury Case in Cherry Hill
In order to have a prima facie, or the basic parts of a personal injury case in Cherry Hill, you and your lawyer need to prove:
- The person who injured you owed you a duty of care (for example, driving properly on the road.)
- The other person failed to exercise that duty (for example, ran a red light, or was speeding.)
- You suffered damages (physical injury.)
- The other person’s actions actually caused your injury (you were hurt in the car accident and not from something else.)
Also, the state of New Jersey has a comparative negligence law. This law states that you can recover against another person, even if you were also negligent, as long as the other person was more negligent than you. If more than one person was negligent towards you, then they are each proportionally responsible for their share of the damage that they caused.
What Kind of Damages Can a Claimant Get in a Civil Claim?
Under New Jersey Personal injury laws, the person(s) who injured you is responsible for certain kinds of damages. They include:
- Past, current, and future estimated medical expenses
- Time lost from work, including time spent going to medical appointments or therapy
- Any property that was damaged, such as your vehicle
- The cost of hiring someone to do household chores when you could not do them
- Any permanent disfigurement or disability
- Your emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, fright, shock, and any interference with your family relationships
- Physical pain and suffering
- Change in future earning ability due to the pain that you suffered
- Any other costs that were a direct result of your injury
An attorney in Cherry Hill could help you obtain the damages you deserve in a personal injury claim.
Speak with a Cherry Hill Personal Injury Attorney
It is vital for you to take action now! New Jersey has a Statute of Limitations for personal injury cases. In order to receive any type of damages for your pain, your lawsuit must be filed within two years of the injury. If you wait too long, you can lose your right to sue.
The Cherry Hill personal injury lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys have extensive experience in these cases. Contact us today and tell us how you were injured. We will give you a free and honest assessment of your case.