Philadelphia Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
We call on nursing homes to take care of our loved ones. We choose homes that seem trustworthy. Unfortunately, sometimes we find that trust betrayed and our vulnerable family members suffer for it.
If your family member is neglected, abused or even killed in a nursing home, the Philadelphia PA nursing home abuse lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys wants to help. Please contact us at 888-979-7298.
What is Nursing Home Abuse?
The word abuse sometimes confuses people because they believe it means the harm must be intentional, but this isn’t so. Nursing home abuse is the intentional or negligent harm to a resident of a home or long term care facility.
Types of Abuse in Nursing Homes
The most common form of abuse is pressure sores (bed sores). These sores occur in stages, meaning they begin with a small, reddish mark and can turn into major wounds that literally form holes in the body. The second most common type of nursing home abuse involves falls. Long care facilities in Pennsylvania are required to assess the risk of falls in their residents, and to take steps to protect them. Other types of nursing home abuse in Pennsylvania include:
- Failure to provide enough fluids – leading to dehydration
- Failure to provide enough food or make certain the resident is eating properly – resulting in malnutrition
- Physical or sexual abuse by staff members
- Use of restraints to keep the person under control
- Improper use of medication to keep the person under control
- Failing to keep the resident from wandering off (also called elopement)
- Mental or emotional abuse
- Medication errors – providing the wrong kind of medication, the wrong dosage, or failing to notice an incorrect combination of medication
Any of these forms of nursing home abuse can cause psychological trauma, physical harm or even death.
What are the Signs and Causes of Neglect in a Nursing Home?
Why Does Nursing Home Abuse Occur?
As nursing homes become busier and focus on the bottom line, they might fail to provide training or hire the right number of staff. As Pennsylvania nursing home abuse attorney Anita Pitock explains, this frequently leads to abuse and neglect.
If you suspect that someone you know is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect you should:
- Make certain the person is safe.
- Report the abuse to the head of the nursing home.
- Report the abuse.
- Contact Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys’ Philadelphia nursing home abuse attorneys.
Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys’ Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Can Help
The head of our nursing home abuse department, Anita Pitock, is a nurse and attorney. She is passionate about the safety of residents in long term care facilities and is focused on helping victims of nursing home abuse in Pennsylvania. Abuse of the elderly in nursing homes is unacceptable.
Philadelphia – Allentown – Harrisburg – Scranton – Pittsburgh – Erie – Pennsylvania – Cherry Hill – East Brunswick – New Jersey
If you believe that your family member is suffering neglect or abuse, it is crucial that you get help right away. Contact the Philadelphia nursing home abuse lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys, P.C., today by calling 888-979-7298.