If you are allergic to a particular food, go to a restaurant and inform the waiter and have your request ignored, if you have a serious allergic reaction, the restaurant might be held responsible for its negligence. If worst comes to worst and your loved one goes into anaphylactic shock and dies, that restaurant might be liable for your family member’s wrongful death. What is anaphylactic shock? It is an extreme, often life threatening reaction to an allergen. Most of the time, if someone suffers a serious allergic reaction, it is no one’s fault.
But sometimes, most commonly when a guest informs a waiter that he is allergic and the warning is ignored, a serious allergic reaction can be considered negligence for which the restaurant might be held liable. In such a case, it is appropriate to contact the Philadelphia allergic reaction lawyer to discuss whether the business that served you or your loved one the allergen is responsible for the medical treatment, loss of work, pain and suffering, or even death that can come with anaphylaxis.
The most common trigger for a serious allergic reaction leading to anaphylaxis is food. “Eight foods account for 90 percent of all” food allergies. They are: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat fish and shellfish. If you know that you or a loved one is allergic to any of these foods, items, it is important to be aware of the potential reaction, and to ask the right questions to keep yourself or other people safe. Don’t hesitate to ask at a restaurant or to read the food label to make certain a food is acceptable to consume. Another source of anaphylactic shock can be medication. If you have a history of allergic reactions to a specific type of medication, inform your doctor and pharmacist. In some cases, allergies to one medication suggest that you might be allergic to a different one. Your doctor is responsible to ask you about any medications to which you might be allergic. Failure to do so can be medical malpractice. Other common allergens are those found outside, insects such as bees and wasps. Also, rarely, pollen can cause a serious and life-threatening reaction.
Determining if someone is suffering from anaphylactic shock immediately is critical. While symptoms may vary from person to person, most people experience one or more of the following:
- Rapid and weak pulse
- Drop in blood pressure
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
Responding to Anaphylaxis
During anaphylaxis the person will likely experience a narrowing of the airway which makes it difficult or impossible to breath normally. If you see someone go into anaphylaxic shock, moments count. You need to respond quickly.
- Remove the source of the problem. If it is food, get it away from the person. If a stinger, scrape it out. Do not squeeze!
- If the person has an epinephrine shot, give it (if you know how.)
- Call 911
- Follow the advice of the operator. This might include providing a medication such as benadryl.
- Help the person stay calm. Someone who gets excited and upset will have even more trouble breathing.
- If CPR is necessary and you know how to perform it, do so.
- Make the person comfortable. Keep him warm and watch out for shock.
Retain a Philadelphia Allergic Reaction Attorney for Help
If you have suffered from anaphylactic shock because of a restaurant’s or doctor’s negligence, call a Philadelphia allergic reaction lawyer to pursue a claim for compensation.