Slip & Fall Lawyers in Philadelphia
Slip or Fall and Get Injured at a Home or Business?
Falling on a hard surface can cause major injuries. This can lead to extensive medical bills. The question is, who pays for those bills and your suffering?
The majority of slip and fall injuries in Pennsylvania occur due to failure to properly maintain a property or building. A promising case can be established if you can prove that you fell due to the property owner’s negligence and suffered a serious injury as a result.
However, the level of negligence and proof required for these kinds of lawsuits is quite high which is why you need an experienced Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer to help you with your claim. Contact our attorneys today and we will help you determine if you have a lawsuit.
How to Document your Slip and Fall Accident
After you have a slip or fall accident, it is important to seek medical attention. However, if at all possible, it is also essential to document the conditions which led to your fall.
- Take pictures of the site. Identify what caused you to slip or fall and photograph it. Photograph the general area as well. Make sure you take pictures of any evidence related to your injury.
- Get names and contact information for witnesses. Speak with all witnesses and ask for the names, numbers and addresses. Ask them what they saw and document what you are told.
- Speak with the property owner or their authorized agent. If at all possible, inform the appropriate person on the property before you leave.
- Consult with an experienced slip and fall attorney. Slip and fall cases are rarely straight forward. Frequently the property owner will deny that you fell or that he was aware of whatever caused you to fall. As a result, it will be important for you to involve an attorney in your case as soon as possible. The attorney will seek to preserve any evidence, such as video from security cameras.
Obtaining this information can be crucial to making your slip and fall case and could very well be the difference between being left to pay medical bills on your own and receiving the financial compensation that you are rightfully due.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents
- Improper Concrete Maintenance
- Failure to remove snow or ice
- Holes in the ground
- Loose floor boards or tiles
- Unanchored rugs or mats
- Failure to post signs when floors are slippery (i.e. just mopped or waxed)
These are just few examples of slip and fall causes that could lead to injury. Here are some tips you might find helpful to keep you safe.
Was There Negligence in Your Slip and Fall Case?
Negligence is the standard that we use to determine whether the owner of the place you slipped or fell might be liable for your injuries.
In order for you to be successful in a Philadelphia slip and fall claim, your lawyers have to prove that:
- You were owed a duty. This is a simple way of saying that you had a right to be where you were and so the owner had some obligation to keep you safe from harm.
- The duty was breached. This means that the owner of the property did something or failed to do something which created some kind of danger.
- You slipped or fell because of the danger.
- You were actually hurt.
This is just the first part of showing whether you have a good chance at your slip and fall case or claim. Next we have to focus on specifics of law related to falls and legal responsibility.
Landlord and Property Owner Responsibilities
A landlord or property owner is given the responsibility of fixing a tenant’s unsafe property that may cause their tenant harm. One of these problems usually occurs during winter when the entrance way of apartments and buildings are not cleared of ice debris.
It is the responsibility of the property owner to check and take preventative action to ensure safety of the tenant from slipping on the steps or sidewalks.
The property owner also has the obligation to warn all visitors or tenants of potential property hazards. This means the owner is responsible for managing any dangers related to sidewalks, roofs, steps, hallways, and other property issues.
Why Hire Our Slip and Fall Lawyers to Help?
Our Philadelphia slip and fall accident attorneys have been helping injury victims since 1975. We know the complexities of slip and fall law and are able to provide the highest level of representation to our clients to help get them their slip and fall settlement. Contact us today for a free consultation.