We rely on nursing homes to take care of our loved ones. We try to find a proper facility that will provide care and assistance in their time of need. Unfortunately, some of these facilities don’t always have your family member’s best interest at heart. Sometimes this lack of proper care causes our loved ones to get hurt or even killed. The Cherry Hill nursing home abuse lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys are here to help if your family member was injured due to mistreatment. Our personal injury attorneys could help you through the legal process to obtain compensation.
What is Nursing Home Abuse?
Nursing home abuse is most frequently the result of neglect which causes harm to a resident of a home or long-term care facility. Sometimes the abuse is intentional, but most frequently it is not. The word “abuse” can be confusing because it gives the idea the harm was intentional, when this isn’t always the case. Mistreatment in nursing homes may happen because of:
- Growth in the Elderly Population – With advances in medicine we’re able to live longer. Living longer means more people living in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. The more people to take care of, the easier it is to neglect a resident.
- Lack of Staff – Many nursing homes are unwilling to pay for enough staff to properly care for their residents. Lack of staff means lack of oversight to make certain patients receive the appropriate amount of attention.
- Rushing Hiring Practices – Rapid turnover and the desire to hire low-paid staff often means the hiring process is rushed and unqualified employees are hired. Sometimes, long term care facilities fail to perform required background checks.
- Inadequate Training – Proper training is critical. Not only must employees learn how to care for the patients and be able to spot problems as they begin, but they also must learn to deal with their own emotions when caring for residents who can be combative or difficult.
A lawyer in Cherry Hill could help someone take legal action if their elderly loved one suffered abuse in their nursing home.
Types of Nursing Home Mistreatment
Common examples of nursing home abuse include:
- Failure to provide enough fluids, resulting in dehydration
- Failure to provide enough or make sure that the person is eating properly, resulting in malnutrition
- Use of restraints to keep the person under control
- Physical or sexual abuse by staff members
- Failure to keep the resident from wandering off (also known as elopement)
- Medication error – providing the wrong kind of medication, the wrong dosage, or failing to notice an incorrect combination of medications
Any of these forms of nursing home abuse or neglect can cause physical harm, or even death. A Cherry Hill attorney could help a family file a lawsuit for any of these types of nursing home abuse.
What Are the Signs and Causes of Nursing Home Abuse?
Contact a Cherry Hill Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Anita Pitock, is a nurse and an attorney. She is also the head of our nursing home abuse department. She is passionate about the safety of residents in long-term care facilities and is focused on helping victims of nursing home abuse in New Jersey. Abuse of the elderly in nursing homes is unacceptable. If you believe that your family member is suffering neglect or abuse, it is crucial that you get help right away. Contact the Cherry Hill nursing home abuse lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys, P.C., today.