You are driving down the road and the next thing you know, someone who wasn’t paying proper attention hits you. Your life changes in a moment. Soft tissue injuries, broken bones, brain damage; all of these can occur when another person isn’t driving carefully. The results can be devastating: long-term pain, inability to work, even death can happen in the blink of an eye. If the injured person is responsible for supporting your entire family, your financial security can be destroyed simply because someone else was looking at his cell phone, changing lanes without paying attention, or engaging in other unsafe behavior while behind the wheel of a car. While nothing can fix the pain and suffering you and your family experienced due to someone else’s negligence, the Cherry Hill car accident lawyers at Lowenthal & Abrams, Injury Attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve to make your life easier going forward. Contact us today to learn how our injury attorneys can help you with your car accident case.
Car Crashes in New Jersey – The Statistics
Unfortunately, after a record low in 2013, 2014 saw a spike in traffic deaths.
- 563 people died in car crashes in New Jersey last year, an increase of 21 people. This reversed a 30 year trend of decreases in deadly road events.
- There was a staggering 28% increase of pedestrian deaths.
- Traffic deaths are, “the leading cause of accidental deaths in New Jersey.”
- Alcohol is a major contributor to car crash deaths in New Jersey, at 26.4%.
- Trucks were involved in 28 of the fatal crashes, 34 people died in events involving trucks.
- Motorcycles involved 54 of the deadly crashes and 56 of the fatalities.
- The majority of fatal crashes occurred in Middlesex county. The second most common county for deadly accidents was Ocean, followed by Atlantic.
- The total number of car accidents in New Jersey in 2014 was 265,540. This is down from 289,304 in 2013, but the state is still compiling statistics for 2014, so those numbers may increase.
- Of those crashes, 54,102 resulted in injury.
- 2,081 crashes involved cell phones. 529 of those auto accidents caused injuries to 760 people. 1 of those New Jersey accidents resulted in a fatality.
A lawyer in Cherry Hill could help you through the legal process if the negligent actions of another driver caused your car acident.
Avoiding Car Accidents
Obviously, the best way to avoid needing a Cherry Hill lawyer is to avoid getting in a car accident in the first place. Unfortunately, given the numbers, it is clear there are many people on the road who are just not driving carefully. In some cases, those drivers make it impossible to avoid an accident. However, there are some steps you can take to decrease your chances of being injured in a crash:
- Engage in defensive driving. This means paying attention to what is going on and taking whatever steps you can to anticipate dangerous situations and work to avoid an accident by being aware of errors other drivers might make, as well as any dangerous road conditions. Taking a defensive driving course is one way to help reduce your chance of accidents. In some cases, you may receive an auto insurance discount for having taken a course.
- Part of engaging in defensive driving is simply being aware. Check your mirrors, watch out for other people, and keep your eyes on the road.
- Know the blind spots in your car, and check them carefully before you change lanes. Sometimes other drivers stay in your blind spots and you may not be aware of their presence. Many newer cars have tools to help you check blind spots, but don’t rely solely on technology.
- Be careful at intersections, especially after a light has just turned green. Another driver could still be driving through, having ignored the red light or speeding to beat a yellow.
- Use your turn signals. Many people don’t, and it is easy to cause a crash if you fail to use your signals. In addition, you might be held responsible if you don’t use your signals properly and cause a crash.
- Don’t tailgate. Give yourself enough time to stop. Keep in mind that the faster you go, the more time you need to stop. Also be aware of slippery road conditions. If you have power brakes, press hard to stop quickly. If you don’t have power brakes, you might need to pump them. Be sure you know which you have. Power brakes sometimes feel like they are slipping due to the vibration.
- Drive safely for the conditions. Slow down if the weather is bad.
- Watch out for bikes and motorcycles. They are easy to miss and if you hit one, you could easily kill or seriously injure the rider.
- Don’t cut off trucks, they take longer to stop than a car, and if they hit you, the damage to your car, and potentially you, can be severe.
- Don’t drive distracted. Don’t look at your cell phone. Whomever is texting you can wait until later. If you must take a call, find a safe place to stop. In New Jersey, the law requires hand-free cell phone use.
Speak with a Cherry Hill Car Accident Attorney
If, despite your best efforts, you are in a car crash, our attorneys are here to help. If you were injured in a wreck due to someone else’s negligence, whether you were a driver or a passenger, you will find that our Cherry Hill car accident lawyers could fight for the right result for you. Contact our car wreck attorneys today for a free consultation. There is no fee unless we are successful in getting you compensation for your injuries.